Thursday, May 6, 2010

Can't wait for the CSA to start!...

So I was perusing their blog, and saw something about artichokes, which got me even more excited!

I have been making more of an effort to buy organic since I found out about my pregnancy, but it's just so expensive! So I came across some info that helped me out with this dilemma, and I thought I would share. This study comes from the Environmental Working Group, but I found it in "The ECOnomical baby guide".

We all know that different foods have more or less pesticides, but I never knew exactly which ones were the worst, well except grapes for some reason. According to the EWG, people can cut their pesticide exposure by 90% just by going organic on these worst offenders:

Highest Pesticide Residue:
peaches
apples
bell peppers
celery
cherries
lettuce
grapes (from Chile)
pears
spinach
potatoes
nectarines
strawberries

And these are the lowest:
onions
avocados
sweet corn (frozen)
pineapples
mangoes
sweet peas (frozen)
asparagus
kiwis
bananas
cabbage
broccoli
eggplant

They say foods farther up the food chain can potentially be much worse, so meat, eggs, and dairy are especially important to go organic with.

Apparently they only studied "conventional" foods, (what does that even mean?) so I'm not sure what that means for other greens like, say, kale and collards... I wonder if they would be most like spinach in worst category, or possibly with the cabbage in the no problem section?

...food for thought!





8 comments:

Meryl DePasquale said...

I like this idea very much -- prioritizing organics in the most pesticide-laden areas. Though it should be said that it's always better to eat a plate of conventionally grown spinach salad than to eat an organic grilled cheese sandwich... it's always better to have vegetables than to not have them.

What is that photo? Brocciflower? It looks delicious!

Molly said...

I would think leafy greens would be awfully similar...

I appreciate your posting this! We haven't gone organic on everything quite yet, and right now, we have a bag of apples in the kitchen that is *not* organic and I am sort of lazy and don't always wash...

And thanks, Meryl, but now I really really want a grilled cheese sandwich. Mmmm.

casey said...

I vote for a grilled cheese sandwich WITH spinach salad on the side!

That photo is from Ireland, but I have seen that stuff in asian markets around these parts... not sure what it's called but it definitely looks cool!

casey said...

(I actually meant to mention that it seems apples usually have the least price difference between organic and conventional, at least that I've noticed when I go shopping) strawberries on the other hand...

well, maybe when the farmers markets start up!

Meryl DePasquale said...

Spinach salad with strawberries and almonds...

Fresh steamed artichokes with earth balance, salt, and lemon juice...

My mouth is watering!!!

Molly said...

Let's not talk about mouths watering, OK? :) Hee hee.

Strawberries... I think I have some in the fridge... We really need to cook together more often, ladies. I eat so much better when I eat with you! xo

Meryl DePasquale said...

Sliced apples are also good in salads... I love sweet/salty combos. Perhaps we're getting too excited too early?

But Shawn and I were actually able to harvest some kale from last year's crop! What rugged plants they are...

Er, I REALLY should get going on this Lit paper... I'm SO naughty!

Angie said...

Romanesca cauliflower. It's good.