Sunday, July 11, 2010

Purple Top Turnips

Has anyone tried the caramelized turnip recipe from the CSA handout? I only noticed it after I had already cooked mine!

I have this new theory that every vegetable is delicious when slathered in toasted sesame oil, heavily salted, and roasted in the oven. With moderate success with beets and cauliflower I put it to the test on turnips.



Since Casey's baby arrived I'm been cooking veggie sides more than one-pot meals to bring her. Then she can combine them in different ways with different meals, sometimes adding on top of a salad, throwing into soup, etc. I wasn't watching the clock while I baked these, but I'm guessing it was at least 45 minutes.



Don't they look a lot like red potatoes? Well, they tasted just like... turnips. But they were good! The caramelizing recipe interests me because the sugar might tackle some of that bitterness. I'm happy that I did this though, because Shawn and I learned that we like turnips roasted as well as raw. And I got them out of the house before my mother arrives tonight who is steadfastly anti-turnip. Casey and Ardeshir have yet to weigh in...

4 comments:

EWH said...

I didn't use the recipe, but the very first week when we got turnips, I roasted them and loved it. I don't think I'd ever used turnips before, but now, having roasted them and mashed them, I love them!

casey said...

Uhh... I hated them, SORRY! It was actually the first time I spit food out of my mouth since about the age of 3. But Ardeshir liked them, o he will eat them up.

Molly said...

I spied on Facebook (from Ardeshir) that Meryl is making some pretty amazing food for you all... turnips are out, but, Casey, what's been your favorite?

I've mostly been sauteing our veggies or eating them raw with salad dressing... It's tricky for me to find energy to really cook these days!

casey said...

Ohh... we are not very picky eaters in this house... I've really loved everything that meryl and my MIL have brought over! (i think beets and tomatoes are the favorite from the csa so far though!)

... I'll tell you what I did NOT love though... when my husband's friend from work came over (a real italian! in minnesota!) with a huge pan of lasagna that LOOKED amazing, but I wouldn't know, because my husband neglected to tell his friend that his wife does not eat meat!!! argh!