Monday, July 19, 2010

Quiche

Since we got a dozen eggs yesterday at Callister Farm in addition to the chicken, we had tons in our house.  Two dozen eggs at once either means Red Velvet Angel Food Cake or quiche.  Quiche was easier and could use up some kale in addition to the eggs.





I made up 2, each with a variation of this recipe. 


The first one had kale*, onions*, & garlic all sauteed together, then some fresh baby tomatoes*, swiss cheese, and the egg custard.  The second had the same kale, onion, and garlic mix, with a red bell pepper thrown in, cheese, and egg custard.

The egg custard I used was (per pie):
  • 4 eggs
  • ~1 C half & half
  • dash of nutmeg
  • ~1 1/2 T flour
The mushrooms at the corner store looked disappointing so I didn't use them, like we normally do.  

And I just realized why I couldn't find our pie pans!  I wasn't looking for glass, I was looking for metal.  So instead I used cake pans.  I'm sure they'll still turn out delish. 


* from the garden or the CSA

3 comments:

casey said...

wow, that quiche looks amazing!! I can;t imagine a better use for eggs... except maybe that delicious sounding cake you mentioned...

Meryl DePasquale said...

Fancy! You definitely went all out. Hope they were tasty!

Angie said...

My write-up of the angel food cake, with the recipe link.