Thursday, July 29, 2010

storing summer herbs to savor in later seasons...

Just wanted to start a post on how everyone stores herbs.

The only herb I am very familiar with storing is basil, as I am italian and therefore I cook with basil a lot! I usually make a quick simple pesto with only basil, garlic, and olive oil. (easier to cook with, sometimes you might not want the cheese or nuts) Then you can freeze in ice cube trays, or what I like to do is put it into a ziplock bag, and lay it out flat to freeze, that way it makes a sheet that might be about 1/4 inch thick or so. Then it doesn't get any freezer burn, and you can just break off pieces of whatever size you desire. Plus, it sores flat on the bottom of an overcrowded freezer!

I froze last weeks dill into ice cube trays... I had read that if you use hot water, it helps the herbs retain their nice green color. I have yet to use it, but it still looks vibrant at least!

Now I am thinking of today's oregano that I know I may not get around to using for months... The sheet says to dry it, but I was wondering if anyone has frozen oregano like I did with the dill? Or maybe I should make an oregano-pesto to freeze? It would be nice to retain that fresh quality to use all winter... I already have plenty of dried oregano!


3 comments:

EWH said...

I have never heard of freezing oregano. I am drying mine, just as I did the sage last week. I just hung it upside down from my veggie basket in the sun of my kitchen.

Meryl DePasquale said...

many of my herbs have ended up in the compost of late... I aspire to use them fresh until then they rot! Clearly I ought to utilize the freezer more.

EWH said...

I put the dill on the potatoes and carrots for a good roasting tonight. I am drying the rest. Drying really is easy, and they still taste better than from the jar.

My compost contribution in the last few weeks: the fennel (couldn't find a use for it soon enough), some kale (husband won't eat it, I was sick of it), and a cucumber that got smooshy.

Tonight I made refrigerator pickles out of the new cukes and onions. No more soggy. I look forward to enjoying them tomorrow.