Thursday, October 14, 2010

Not gone yet...

This week I still used potatoes and turnips and onions from the box. Have both turnips and onions left as well. It's been so convenient these last few months to just open the crisper to find veggies for dinner. Last night, it went like this:

Pat: What's our vegetable tonight?
Me: What's in the drawer?
Pat: Turnips, broccoli (from the FM), one leek (also from FM)
Me: Well, we had broccoli last night...
Pat: Turnips? [sigh]
Me: The sooner we eat them, the sooner they'll be gone.
Pat: Okay...

He is not overly fond of them (I like them just fine), but he'll eat almost anything I cook for him. Last night, I sliced them thin, boiled them long enough to soften without mushing, and served with butter and shallot salt (my new spice from Penzey's, which I am putting on everything). We also had pork chops and brown rice. Yums.

Also, for the record, I'm pretty sure I have decided to not join the CSA for next year. Despite my happiness with it this year and the fact that I now have a chest freezer, I think it will just be overwhelming. I see myself going to the market, with my baby strapped on my person, and only buying the things I want to cook and know how to cook. I don't want to feel the guilt I felt this year, composting maybe 20% of my produce. Yes, that's a high estimation, but there were weeks when it had to come close. It was a great experience, and I'm sure I'll do it again someday. Just not when I have a newborn :-).

No comments: